Discover the allure of Margaret Island, a 2.5-kilometer-long oasis in Budapest's Danube River heart. Once home to a Dominican convent, it's now cherished for its parks, thermal baths, and cultural sites. Dive into its history, explore serene gardens, relax in thermal pools, and enjoy open-air performances. MBS87 offers guided tours, making your visit informative and memorable.
A Green Oasis in the Heart of Budapest
Margaret Island (Margitsziget) is a 2.5-kilometer-long island in the middle of the Danube River, in the heart of Budapest, Hungary. The island is a popular recreational area for locals and tourists alike, and it is known for its beautiful parks and gardens, its thermal baths, and its many cultural attractions.
History of Margaret Island
Margaret Island was named after Margaret, the daughter of King Béla IV of Hungary. Margaret was a devout Catholic, and she lived on the island in a Dominican convent. After her death in 1270, she was canonized, and the island became a popular pilgrimage site.
In the 16th century, it was occupied by the Ottoman Turks. During this time, the island's churches and monasteries were destroyed. After the Turks were defeated in 1686, the island was rebuilt.
In the 19th century, Margaret Island became a popular destination for the wealthy people of Budapest. The island's thermal baths were built during this time, and the island was also landscaped with parks and gardens.
Today, it is a popular recreational area for people of all ages. The island is home to a variety of attractions, including:
- Thermal baths: It has two thermal baths, the Palatinus Baths and the Hajós Alfréd Baths. The Palatinus Baths is one of the largest thermal baths in Europe, and it features a variety of pools, including a wave pool and a children's pool. The Hajós Alfréd Baths is a smaller thermal bath, but it is also very popular.
- Parks and gardens: This is home to a variety of parks and gardens, including the Japanese Garden, the Rose Garden, and the Musical Fountain. The Japanese Garden is a beautiful and peaceful garden with a variety of Japanese plants and sculptures. The Rose Garden is home to over 10,000 rose bushes. The Musical Fountain is a fountain that puts on a light and music show every evening.
- Cultural attractions: This is home to a variety of cultural attractions, including the Margaret Island Water Tower, the Open-Air Theatre, and the Museum. The Water Tower is a beautiful Art Nouveau water tower that offers panoramic views of the city. The Margaret Island Open-Air Theatre is a large open-air theatre that hosts a variety of concerts and performances throughout the year. The Margaret Island Museum is a museum that tells the story of the island's history and culture.
Things to do on Margaret Island
There are many things to do here, including:
- Visit the thermal baths: The thermal baths on Margaret Island are a great way to relax and rejuvenate. The baths are also good for your health, as the thermal water is rich in minerals.
- Take a walk or bike ride around the island: Margaret Island is a great place to take a walk or bike ride. The island has a variety of paths, and you can enjoy the beautiful scenery.
- Visit the Japanese Garden: The Japanese Garden is a beautiful and peaceful place to relax and enjoy the beauty of nature.
- See a concert or performance at the Open-Air Theatre: The Margaret Island Open-Air Theatre hosts a variety of concerts and performances throughout the year. Be sure to check the schedule before you go to see what's playing.
- Visit the Museum: The Margaret Island Museum is a great place to learn about the island's history and culture.
Tips for visiting there
Here are a few tips for visiting Margaret Island:
- Wear comfortable shoes: You will be doing a lot of walking on Margaret Island, so it is important to wear comfortable shoes.
- Bring sunscreen and a hat: The sun can be strong on Margaret Island, even in the spring and fall. Be sure to wear sunscreen and a hat to protect yourself from the sun.
- Bring water: It is important to stay hydrated, especially on hot days. Be sure to bring water with you when you visit Margaret Island.
- Be respectful of the island and its visitors: Margaret Island is a beautiful and tranquil place. Be sure to respect the island and its visitors by keeping your noise down and not littering.
MBS87: Your Gateway to Margaret Island
MBS87 offers a variety of bus tours to Margaret Island. Our tours are led by experienced and knowledgeable guides, and they provide a comprehensive overview of the island's history, attractions, and significance.
Our tour of Margaret Island begins with a pick-up from your hotel in Budapest. We will then drive to the island, where you will have the opportunity to take photos of this beautiful oasis in the heart of the city. Once on the island, you will join a guided tour of the island's main attractions, including the Japanese Garden, the Rose Garden, and the Musical Fountain.
After the tour, you will have free time to explore the island on your own. You can visit the island's thermal baths, rent a bike and ride around the island, or simply relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery. We will pick you up from the island at a time of your choosing and drive you back to your hotel in Budapest.
If you are looking for a comprehensive and informative tour of Margaret Island, then MBS87 is the right choice for you. We offer a variety of tour departure times to fit your schedule, and our tours are reasonably priced. Book your tour today and experience the beauty and tranquility of Margaret Island!
Tour and Bus Rental Hungary or Bus Rental Budapest, also known as MBS87, specializes in providing enriching experiences for travelers visiting Budapest and its surrounding areas. With a team of dedicated experts, we ensure that your exploration of Margaret Island is not just a tour but an educational and memorable journey.
>> See more: Széchenyi Baths