Strasbourg literally means "cross roads". The mix of German and French cultures and religions. Catholic (bishops), protestant and jewish influences are still present today. On this tour you will feel and see how this developed over the centuries.
There has always been a military presence in the area and especially in the city. I will explain why.
The rivers (Rhine and Ill , another cross road) brought trade and wealth. That attracted craftsmen and artists like Mozart and Goethe.
Today Strasbourg hosts the European council, again a cross road within Europe.
On this tour I will not give you a lot of historical data but an approach from a peoples view over the ages. I will try to give you a feel for who did what and why over the centuries. In lots of cases you can recognize it in the architecture or taste it in the food of this melting pot.
Strasbourg has always been a bit stubborn and independent. At the end of the tour you will better understand why.
• We start our day with a canal cruise of about 70 minutes.
• We will walk by the Rohan palace.
• Then we will visit the Munster cathedral and the astronomical clock. I will share some nice anecdotes with you here.
• We walk along the city hall, the Rhine palace, military buildings and other famous villas
• You will visit a number of catholic and protestant churches, like the St. Pierre le Jeune et le Vieux and the Eglise St. Thomas.
• We will pass by the National Theatre, the library and the Opera (where Mozart performed)
• Along the way we will enjoy a lunch.
• We will see the mausoleum of Kleber, a favourite army general of Napolean
• We will end your tour walking by the "covered bridges" and an ancient "ice factory"
• You will enjoy to look at the old houses and shops in the "la Petite France" area walking back (greeting Gutenberg) to the Cathedral.
The total walking distance is about 5, 3 km or 3, 3 miles.
MEETING POINT + TOUR DURATION
Meeting Point Options: Hotel, Suggested by Guide: Cathedral in front off facing the tourist office
Duration: 5 hours 30 min.
Heavy rain or snow might alter program.
Boat and walking.
- Guiding Services
- Admission Tickets
ESTIMATED LOCAL CASH NEEDED
35 Euro - Count on about 25 Euro's per person for lunch and 10 Euro's for drinks.
- Personal Expenses
- Food, Drinks, Snacks
I will not be able to guide you inside of the historical monuments and museums.