Hidden behind its defensive walls, Avignon is an incredible and interesting piece of French history. Capital of the Vaucluse and the Côtes du Rhône, seat of the popes and city of art and culture, theatre, cinema. . . Avignon is a must see here in Provence !
The historic centre, which includes the Palais des Papes, the cathedral, and the Pont d'Avignon, became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1995. The medieval monuments and the annual Festival d'Avignon have helped to make the town a major centre for tourism and will make you go back in time.
Avignon is full of history and full of life. From medieval streets and houses to private mansions from the Renaissance, passing through all its old and enticing squares, you will enjoy the Avignon's great atmosphere.
I would be delighted to guide you in my native city! I prepared a walking tour in order to get to the best places and must-see monuments, taking our time and enjoying our day, without missing anything.
Are you ready?
• Meeting at the center of the city
• Walk through the city and its old streets, where I can show you our best gourmet shops
• Visit of the Saint Pierre Cathedral
• Walk through the Rocher des Doms (highest point of the city) to have a great point of view and see the broken Avignon's bridge
• We will then continue walking and I'll show you some streets with private mansions from the Renaissance.
• In option : wine tasting in a wine shop (please specify if you would want it)
• The visit of the Pope's palace is really worth seeing. If you want to visit it, please know that it lasts at least 1h30. Also, I wouldn't be able to guide you inside it, as they only accept guides from their own staff. But no worries, you'll be given a lot of information inside, through written description and 3D reconstitution on iPads.
MEETING POINT + TOUR DURATION
Meeting Point Options: Suggested by Guide: At the beginning of the Main Street of Avignon, easy to find : Rue de la République
Duration: 3 hours
It is a walking tour
- Guiding Services
ESTIMATED LOCAL CASH NEEDED
80 euros - You may want to shop some food, drink, souvenirs.
- Personal Expenses
- Food, Drinks, Snacks
I am not a licensed guide and will not be able to guide you inside of the historical monuments.